Why does SHCC ask for evidence of collection efforts when submitting a special claim for unpaid rent and damages? What does this entail?

Haca Mis Special Claims

SHCC is tasked with ensuring the owner has made a reasonable effort to recover money from the vacating tenant for non-compliance with rental payments and care of the unit. Therefore, SHCC requires the owner to submit the following:

  • A copy of the certified letter, which incorporates the disposition of the security deposit and a demand for payment detailing the charges. This letter must inform the tenant if the debt is not paid it will be forwarded to a collection agency.
  • Second, a copy of a completed certified mail receipt, the certified return postcard, or copy of envelope with dated certify postal stamp.
  • Lastly, documentation verifying the matter was, in fact, forwarded to a collection agency.